- 1 Overview
- 2 Guide
- 3 Main Interface
- 4 Basic Functions
- 5 Common Operations
- 6 Disk Management
- 7 Main Menu
Deepin File Manager is developped by Deepin Technology Team. As the core component to manage files in deepin, it is a powerful, easy-to-use file manager with an elegant and simple interface. Full-featured, well-designed, effecient-improved, Deepin File Manager will be a good help in your daily life and work.
You can run, close and create a shortcut for Deepin File Manager by the following ways.
Run Deepin File Manager
- Click on or move the mouse pointer to the upper left corner of the screen to enter Launcher interface.
- Locate by scrolling mouse wheel or searching by "deepin file manager" in Launcher interface.
- Right click on , you can
- Click on Send to desktop to create a desktop shortcut.
- Click on Send to dock to fix the application on dock.
- Click on Add to startup to add the application to startup, it will automatically run when the system starts up.
Exit Deepin File Manager
- In Deepin File Manager interface, click on × to exit Deepin File Manager.
- Right click on on dock, select Close all to exit Deepin File Manager.
- Click on and select Exit to exit Deepin File Manager.
In Deepin File Manager main interface, user can execute many operations with all the functional bars in it. It is designed to be easy-to-use, user-friendly and efficient improving.
|1||Navigation bar||Displays user directory, mounted disks and bookmarks.|
|2||Address bar||Input keywords to search or input directory to access corresponding contents. Use to go back or forward. Use breadcrumb bar to switch among parent directories and sub directories.|
|3||View||User can switch view modes by clicking on icon.|
|4||Settings||User can create new window, view manual and application information, and exit the application in ** Settings**.|
|5||Status||Displays number of files or number of selected files, user can drag the slider to adjust the size of icons in the directory.|
Deepin File Manager is featured with the basic functions as a file manager, user can easily create, copy, rename or delete files/folders with it.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, right click and select New folder.
- Input a name for the new folder, and press Enter, or click on blank area.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, right click and select New document.
- In the popup menu, select the document format you wish to create.
- Input a name for the new document, and press Enter, or click on blank area.
- Select the file/folder to be renamed, right click and select Rename.
- Input a new name for the file/folder, and press Enter, or click on blank area.
- Select the files/folders to be copied, right click and select Copy.
- Enter the directory to which the files/folders will be pasted, right click and select Paste.
：A window will popup to show the progress as it starts copying. By clicking on × you can cancel the copying process. By hovering the mouse pointer to the round progress bar, it will switch to a pause button, you can pause the copying process by clicking on it.
- Select the files/folders to be compressed, right click and select Compress.
- Input a file name and select a file format for the to be compressed file.
- Select a location to store the to be compressed file.
- Select Create to generate the compressed file.
: In Other Options, user can choose to encrypt the compressed file and the file list, and also to split the to be compressed file into several parts to reduce individual file sizes of the compressed file.
Select the files/folders to be deleted, right click and select Throw to Trash.
- To permanently delete the files/folders, enter Trash, click on Empty > Empty Trash.
- To restore deleted files/folders, enter Trash, select the files/folders to restore, click on Restore, the files/folders will be moved to their original directory.
: Permanently deleted files/folders can not be restored.
: To permanently and selectively delete some files/folders from Trash, select the targeted files/folders, right click and select Delete from Trash.
Options to Open a File
User can select to open a file with different applications.
- In Deepin File Manager, right click on the file to open.
- In the context menu, select Open with.
- Select an application to open the file.
：It will use the default application to open the file when you double clicked on it. User can right click on the file, select Property and choose a default application in Open with list. User can also set the options in the [Default Applcation Settings](dman:///dde-control-center#Default Applcation Settings) of the Control Center to change the global default applications of the specified file types.
Click on icon in Deepin File Manager interface to switch between icon display and list display.
Icon display: It will show the icon, name and thumbnail of the files.
- List display：It will show the icon, name, modified time, size and type of the files.
: User can right click in blank area in Deepin File Manager interface, select Display as in the context menu, then choose between Icon and List.
- Right click in the blank area in Deepin File Manager, select Sort by.
- Choose among the sorting options, which include Name, Size, Type and Time modified.
：User can click on the head of the columns in the list view to change the sort order.
User can view the information about a file/folder.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, right click on a file/folder and select Property.
- In the popup window, user can view the information about the file/folder.
Deepin File Manager is featured with many useful functions, such as breadcrumb bar, tabs, bookmarks, file sharing, accessing computers in LAN, opening file/folder in Terminal and so on. They are all designed to ease the commonly used operations.
Switch Address Bar
There are three sections in address bar, namely the breadcrumb bar, search bar and directory bar.
By default, breadcrumb bar is displayed in the address bar. By clicking on the blank area in the address bar or click on search icon, it will switch to directory/search bar, which can be used to access directory and search for target items. By inputting a directory/keywords in the directory/search bar and pressing Enter, user can access the target directory/search for target items.
: When user accesses a sub directory, all the parent directories of the sub directory will become a breadcrumb in the address bar. By clicking on the breadcrumbs, user can easily switch among the sub directories and their parent directories.
User can search for targeted item by the searching function integrated in Deepin File Manager.
- In the address bar of Deepin File Manager, switch to search.
- Input keywords in the search bar and press Enter, the search results will popup in the window.
: To search in a designated directory, enter that directory and search. To search all directories, input Slash in the search bar and press Enter to enter root directory, then search for the target item.
Deepin File Manager supports multi-tab view.
- In Deepin File Manager, right click on the folder to open in new tab.
- In the popup context menu, select Open in new tab .
- When the window has multi-tabs, user can:
- Click on + in tab bar to add a new tab.
- Click on × on the right tab of the tab bar to close an existing tab.
: When the Deepin File Manager has only one tab, the tab bar is hidden, you can press Ctrl + T to add a new tab.
User can add folders to bookmarks in Deepin File Manager.
- In Deepin File Manager, right click on the folder to add as bookmark.
- In the popup context menu, select Add to bookmark.
User can move bookmarks within the bookmark area. In Deepin File Manager, drag and drop the bookmark to the designated location.
User can remove bookmarks by right clicking on the bookmark and select Remove , or drag and drop the bookmark out of the navigation bar to remove it.
Computers in LAN
User can visit computers in LAN to access files and folders.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, click on .
- Double click on the computer icon to access.
- Select to connect as Anonymous or Registered user. For Registered user, user needs to input username and password to connect.
- Click on Connect to establish connection.
User can share folders in Deepin File Manager, if there are some folders shared, the share icon will show on the navigation bar, if not, the share icon will be hidden.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, right click on a folder, select Property .
- In the popup window, click Share manager .
- To share this folder, click Share this folder .
- To change share options, input Share name , and select to choose Permission and Anonymity .
- To set share password, click and select Set share password .
User can manage shared folders if it has shared some folders in Deepin File Manager.
- In Deepin File Manager interface, click share on the navigation bar.
- All shared folders will show on the interface.
- User can cancel sharing by right click the folder and select Cancel sharing .
Open in Terminal
User can open folders in terminal to execute operations.
- In Deepin File Manager, enter the folder.
- Click on blank area in the folder, and select Open in terminal.
User can create links for items, and put the links in easy-to-reach folders (such as Desktop) to access the items faster.
- In Deepin File Manager, select the item to create a link for.
- Right click and select Create link.
- In the popup window, select a folder to store the link.
- Click on Save to finish creating the link.
: By selecting Send to desktop for an item, user can create a link on desktop with one click.
In Deepin File Manager, mounted disks are displayed in disk management area in the navigation bar.
Mounted disks are displayed in the left navigation bar of Deepin File Manager. Including:
- Local disk, which includes all the partitions in local disk;
- External disk, which includes mobile hard disk, light disk and USB flash disk;
- Mobile device, which includes mobile phone storage, storage card, SD card and so on.
User can choose to unmount/eject disks.
- In the navigation bar of Deepin File Manager, right click on the disk to remove.
- Select Unmount to unmount the disk. The disk will be still in the disk list.
- Select Eject to eject the removable disk/device, the disk will be removed from the disk list and can be safely removed from PC.
: User can click on unmount in the navigation bar to eject the disks.
User can format disks in Deepin File Manager.
- In the navigation bar of Deepin File Manager, right click on the disk to format.
- Select Format .
- In the popup window, choose the type and volume label for the disk.
- Click on Format .
: Fast format can be finished in a few seconds, but the data could be restored by file recovery tools. If you don't want these data to be restored, you can uncheck this option box and format the disk.
In Main Menu , user can create new window, read manual, view information on Deepin File Manager and Exit the application.
In Deepin File Manager interface, click on to enter Main Menu .
In Main Menu , click on New window to create a new window.
- In Main Menu , click on Settings to enter Settings .
- Adjust the settings to let the File Manager more suitable for your needs:
- In Open behavior , user can set whether to open folder in current folder or new window, one click or double click to open it.
- In New window and tab , user can set the default path to open in a new window/tab.
- In View , user can set the icon size of the files.
- In Hidden files , user can set whether to show the hidden files or not.
- In Preview , user can set whether to show the preview image of the specified file types.
- In Mount , user can set the auto mount function.
- In Dialog , user can set whether to use the file chooser dialog of the Deepin File Manager or not.
In Main Menu , click on Help to view this manual.
In Main Menu , click on About to view the version and introduction of Deepin File Manager.
In Main Menu , click on Exit to exit Deepin File Manager.